Home // Climb // Accessories and Guides // Vertical Heartland: A Rock Climber`s Guide to Southern Illinois 3rd Edition (Item #9648053)
|Now Viewing: Default|
Vertical Heartland: A Rock Climber`s Guide to Southern Illinois 3rd Edition
Item # 9648053
- Climbing guide to the Southern Illinois Areas
- 328 pages covering Jackson Falls, Giant City State Park, Ferne Clyffe State Park, Draper's Bluff, and Cedar Bluff.
- Over 500 climbing routes and boulder problems are described
- History and Regional information also included.
- Giant City State Park (52 routes)
- Ferne Clyffe State Park (24 routes)
- Draper's Bluff (71 routes and boulder problems)
- Cedar Bluff (33 routes)
- ackson Falls (over 315 routes and boulder problems) and the Promised Land (43 routes)
- PlastiCoil binding
- grayscale interior
- color cover (full bleed)
- detailed top-view cliff maps
- many hundreds of images
- cliff wall images for guiding the reader
- climbing images for eye candy, including several images courtesy of Mike Landkroon
- History section includes a look at the climbing clubs that were producing 99% of the climbers who were at the cliffs of Southern Illinois pre-1980, such as St. Louis Mountain Club (images dating from 1949 forward, courtesy Drs. John Dietschy and Tom Hornbein), Southern Illinois University (SIU) Speleological Society, SIU Shawnee Mountaineers, Evansville Climbing Club, and the Memphis Mountaineers. Much emphasis is placed on the Carbondale scene (images from 1962 forward)
4.0/5 based on 1 ratings. 1 user reviews.
Average of 1 customer reviews:
St. Louis, MO
4/5 Avg. Product Rating
This is THE guidebook to climbing in Southern Illinois. Published in 2005, some of the route information is becoming out of date, but it is still the book you will see everyone at Jackson Falls carrying around.